1. The name of the Association shall be the Jammu University Teachers’ Association, herein under referred to as the Association.
2. It shall be a registered Association and the registered office of the Association shall be situated within the Jammu University Campus.
3. The Association shall endeavour to safeguard and promote social, cultural, intellectual and academic interests of its members.
- Without prejudice to the generality of the provision contained in clause (a), the Association shall have the following aims and objects, namely.
- To create a sense of solidarity among the members of the Association by holding meetings, seminars and discussions on matter of common interest;
- To assist the members individually and collectively in improving their conditions of service and material well-being
- to institute funds, and for that purpose to accept donations, contributions and grants for the benefit of the Association and members thereof;
- to acquire, hold and dispose of property, moveable and immovable for purpose of the Association;
- to adopt all methods to safeguard the rights of the teaching community in general and of the members of the Association in particular.
- to organize & administer and /or help in the administration of social security for teachers including insurance scheme or provident fund, old age pension, accident or invalidity benefits./li>
- to promote better understanding between the teachers, the students and the university administration.
4. Membership: Membership of the association shall be open to the members of the teaching departments of the University of Jammu, including such staff of the libraries of the University of Jammu as have teaching responsibilities.
Explanation: Director Physical Education & Asstt. Director Physical Education & Games, Coaches in the employ of the University shall be deemed to be members of the staff having technical responsibilities.
- If any doubt or dispute arises with regard to eligibility to membership on account of the nature of functions performed by a member of the staff of the University of Jammu, the same shall be referred to the General Council of the Association whose decision shall be final.
- No person shall be enrolled as a member of the Association unless he makes an application on the prescribed form for the purpose, and pays membership fee of Rs 10/-.
- The General Council of the Association shall in the Annual General meeting determine the amount of annual subscription to be paid by a member of the Association.
- Any members of the Association who fails to clear arrears on account of annual subscription by the date specified in this regard by the Treasure of the Association, shall lose his right to vote in any meeting of the Association, as also to cast a vote in any election of the Association.
- Any person who ceases to be an employee of the University of Jammu shall lose his membership of the Association automatically from the date. Provided that no member shall be deemed to have ceased to be a member of the Association till he has exhausted all the legal remedies available to him.
- Any member of the Association may be censured and/or suspended or expelled for a specified period from membership by the General Council of the Association with majority of the total membership, if he has been persistently acting against the aims and objects of the Association or has acted in a manner prejudicial to the interest of the teaching community in general and of the Association in particular; Provided that no resolution to this effect shall be passed by the Council unless notice of the resolution has been given to the affected member at least seven days before the meeting, and he is offered a reasonable opportunity to be heard in the meeting of the council.
5. The General Council of the Association shall consist of all the
members of the Association.
- There shall be two general meeting of the General Council each year. The first meeting shall be held at the opening of the University as far as possible in the month of August or as soon thereafter as may be. The second meeting, to be called the annual general meeting, shall be held in the month of April each year.
- All meeting of the Association, other than requisitioned meetings of the General Council, shall be called by the Secretary in consultation with the President of the Association.
- A special or extra ordinary meeting of the General Council shall be called on the requisition of one-third members of the General Council, by the Secretary of the Association on giving seven days clear notice to the members.
- The President of the Association may call a special meeting of the General Council to consider items of special importance to the Association on giving at least three days clear notice to the members.
6. The General Council shall have the following powers and functions namely:
- to elect office bearers of the Association;
- to approve the annual budget of the Association;
- to discuss all matters which concern or affect the material well being of the members of the Association, and , for that purpose to adopt resolutions or to chalk out a course of action necessary under the circumstances;
- to make recommendations to the University of Jammu, the State Government, the University Grants Commission and other authorities on matters related to improvement of conditions of service of the members or for their material well-being.
- To appoint standing or special committees for the purpose of examining schemes or proposals relating to conditions of services of teachers in general and of the members of the Association in particular.
- To authorize affiliation of the Association with similar bodies or associations in India and abroad, and to prescribe terms and conditions for such affiliation;
- To discuss and approve the annual Report presented by the Executive Council of the Association at the Annual General meeting.
- To remove office-bearers of the Association and to fill in the vacancies from time to time;
- To take all other steps which are incidental to/or further the aims and objects of the Association.
7. The holders of the offices hereinafter mentioned shall be the office-
bearers of the Association:
1. President, 2. Vice-President, 3. Secretary, and
4. Joint Secretary (who may also be delegated the duties of the
- The office-bearers of the Association shall be elected by the General Council of the Association at its General meeting (august) in the manner hereinafter provided:-
- List of all members eligible for voting shall be circulated by the Secretary after the membership is completed. Objections to the list shall be filed within one week and the Executive Committee shall consider the objections, and finally the revised list shall be circulated within one week of the last date of filling the objections. Secretary shall invite nomination for various posts of the office bearers giving not less than one week’s notice to file the nominations.
- No person shall be proposed for any office of the Association unless he is a member of the Association and has indicated his willingness to accept the office for which his name has been proposed.
- The office-bearers of the Association shall hold office for a period of one year from the date of election, or the next Annual General Meeting, whichever is earlier. They shall, however continue to hold their office until new office-bearers are elected in the General Meeting.
- Voting shall be by secret ballot in accordance with the rules to be framed by the Executive Council of the Association.
- Any office bearer of the Association may be removed by the General Council of the Association with the vote of 2/3 of the total members in a charge of dereliction of duty or misfeasance. The resolution of removal shall not be passed unless the notice of the charge is given to the office-bearer concerned by the President of the Association, and in the case of President by the Vice-President, and he has been afforded an opportunity to be heard in the meeting in which the resolution has to be adopted.
8. The Executive Council of the Association shall consist of the office-
bearers of the Association, and one member from each teaching Department of University of Jammu elected in the manner hereinafter provided. The executive council shall co-opt one member from among the members who are not on the staff of a teaching Department of the University.
- Nomination papers of candidates for election to the Executive Council from teaching Department shall be received by the Secretary along with the nomination for office-bearers. Each candidate shall be proposed and seconded by the members of the teaching staff, who are members in good standing of the Association of the department to which the candidate belongs.
- Ballot papers containing the names of candidates of a teaching Department shall be sent to members of the Association of that Department by the Secretary by registered post or through special messenger.
- Any member desirous to exercise voting right shall return the ballot paper to the secretary in a se3aled cover by registered post or through special messenger after indicating his preference by putting a cross in ink against the name of the candidate of his choice within a week’s time.
- Ballot papers shall be opened separately for each Department according to the plan notified by the secretary within a week of the receipt of the ballot papers. The members of the Association of that Department shall have the right to be present at the time of counting of votes.
- In case a single nomination paper is received for election of representative from a teaching Department, no election shall be held and the nominated member shall be declared to have been duly elected.
- Any candidate who secures maximum number of votes of the members of the Association of that Department shall be declared to have been elected.
- The Departmental representative of the Association shall hold office for a period of one year from the date of holding of the General Meeting
9).The Executive Council shall be responsible for the management of the affairs of the Association. It shall meet frequently, but not less than four times in an academic year. It shall exercise such powers and functions as may be delegated to it by the General Council of the Association.
10 a). Meeting of the General Council and the Executive Council of the Association shall be presided over by the President of the Association, and , in his absence by the Vice-President. If none of these office-bearers is present, the General Council of the Executive Council, as the case may be, shall elect a president for that meeting.
b). Unless otherwise provided for by these articles, no meeting shall be held unless notice thereof signed by the Secretary is sent to members giving ten days interval between the date of notice and date of meeting.
c). The quorum for General Council and Executive Council meeting shall be 33 percent and 50 percent respectively of the total membership of the General or Executive Council, as the case may be. It shall be the duty of the presiding officer not to conduct any business in a meeting which fails to comply with this requirement of the quorum.
d). All decisions and resolution in meetings of the General Council and Executive Council shall be adopted by the majority of the members present and voting. In the event of a tie, the President shall have the casting vote.
e). Proceedings of a meeting shall not be invalidated merely on the grounds that notice of the meeting was not received by member/some members of the Association.
11.a). Any Office bearer of the Association other than the President may resign by delivering the letter of resignation to the President.
b). The President of the Association may resign by delivering his letter of resignation to the Vice-Chancellor.
The president or the Vice-president, as the case may be shall expeditiously convene a meeting of the general Council to assess the situation created as a result of the resignation of the President or any other office-bearer. The General Council may request the president or any such office-bearer to withdraw the resignation, and if this is done, the resignation shall have no effect.
c). If any vacancy is caused in the office of the President by reason of his
Retirement, resignation, illness or otherwise, no fresh election shall be held but the Vice president shall act as the President for the remainder of the term of the President.
12. It shall be the duty of the Executive Council to have the account of the Association audited through experts or firms approved by the General Council. The statement of accounts with auditors comments, shall be laid before the Annual General meeting of the Association for the preceding accounting year ending 31st of March.
13 . The Treasure of the Association shall open an account of the Association’s Fund with a scheduled bank approved by the Executive Council. The Account shall be operated jointly by the President and the Treasure of the Association.
The Executive Council shall authorize and fix the amount which shall remain as imprests money with the treasure.
14. a) Any amendments to this constitution of the Association shall be made by the General Council with the 2/3rd majority of the total membership.
b). Proposals for amendments may be made any member in writing to the President who shall circulate the draft amendments to all members of the Association serving two weeks notice. The President will than call a meeting of General Council for this purpose after expiry of two weeks.